Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Breakfast at Tiffany's Print

For any lesson on style, I just look to Audrey Hepburn.  She has an enduring quality that is as relevant today as it ever was.

The Patron Saint of the Little Black Dress
"She raised the little black dress to an art form.  She taught us how to wear it once and for all, not with fussy fuchsia print scarves, but with simple pearls, a black hat, and - did we dare - a long, black cigarette holder."   - Ellen Melinkoff (about Audrey Hepburn), What We Wore


My new Breakfast at Tiffany's print available here.


"The Legendary qualities of the little black dress have been distilled over the years into one enduring image, that of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly in the 1961 film Breakfast at Tiffany's.  The film opens with the actress strolling down Fifth Avenue at dawn.  Her column of black silk skims the impossibly litterless New York sidewalk; above-the-elbow gloves are worn with heaps of pearls and large black sunglasses.  Cut to Hepburn's apartment, where, roused from her bed wearing a rumpled man's tuxedo shirt, she emerges three minutes later in a Givenchy-designed sleeveless shift with a self-tie sash, a flounce of feathers skimming her knees.  Worn in almost every scene, the dress takes Hepburn from cocktails to Sing Sing to dinner at '21', with merely a change of accessories.  The dress, and Hepburn, manage to look different in every frame - yet these images, and this little black dress, have synthesized into the ultimate symbol of inestimable style and chic."
The Little Black Dress - Amy Holman Edelman


One year, after a dinner out for my boyfriend's birthday, we invited friends back to my place for dessert.  I didn't think that everyone would come.  21 people squeezed into my one bedroom apartment, and although I wasn't wearing pearls and a little black  dress,  I did feel like Holly Golightly in the party scene from Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful print! Audrey in Tiffany's will always be one of my ultimate style icons :) Sweetie, thank you so much for your lovely comment on my latest beauty post! I'd love to answer all your questions in a separate email, could you please send me your email address on ivanka.hargasova@gmail.com.
    I'd love to keep in touch and feature you in my Brunch with a blogger series!


    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete