Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Language of Flowers

I have been reading a book called "The Language of Flowers" by Vanessa Differnbaugh and by coincidence I found out that she was coming to my local library.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the flyer, because I had read in the book that the author lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts.  Why would she be coming all the way out to Southern California to my little local library?  I had to ask the librarian to confirm, because I really didn't believe their flyer.  Once she confirmed, I circled the day in bright red ink on my calendar!


The book is about a girl who has spent most of her life in foster-care.  Her life experiences have been so hard that she has difficulty getting close to anyone.  She uses the Victorian language of flowers to communicate with people.  But of course they don't know what she is saying, so she never gets an answer.  (In Victorian times, people would give each other little bouquets called nosegays or tussie-mussies.  Each of the flowers held a secret message for the recipient.)

I had originally checked this book out of the library.  I renewed it so many times, that I eventually went out and bought my own copy.  There is a flower dictionary in the back that I kept referencing.  I've been working on some new floral artwork, that I will share with you all later:)

Vanessa Diffenbaugh and I at the book signing.

It was a lovely afternoon spent listening to Vanessa tell us how she came up with her character, Victoria.  Vanessa, in her own life, has 3 foster kids and 2 children of her own.  She is passionate about helping as many foster kids as she can.  She has formed the Camellia Network, which helps kids who are aging out of the foster care system.  Camellia means my destiny is in your hands.

The meanings of flowers just slipped their way into her book, because she has always been interested in them.

I am just amazed that she was able to write a book in a years worth of just 2 hours a day during her little one's afternoon naps!  What have I been doing with my time?!  This gives me some inspiration to be more efficient and productive with my time!!  Hopefully...

I highly recommend this really well written book!

No comments:

Post a Comment