Friday, March 21, 2014

Etiquette Series

To continue with my Etiquette Series, I once again turn to one of my favorite little books, Manners by Kate Spade.  Here she states 10 Gentle Reminders for Modern-Day Etiquette.  I feel I need some "gentle reminders" since I don't have my grandmothers around anymore doing the reminding.  Also, it seems people are so rushed and stressed these days.  And that's exactly the time we all tend to forget our manners.  Most of the time I face road-rage while driving our crazy crowded freeways in Southern California, but when I come across an unexpected display of excellent manners from a stranger, it makes me feel good for the rest of the day!
Illustration by Virginia Johnson for Manners by Kate Spade

10 Gentle Reminders

Making others feel at ease is the essence of etiquette, yesterday and today.

There are few words more elementary or more welcomed than please and thank you.

Good moods are contagious.
Hopefully, yours will be pleasantly catching.

Be aware and considerate of personal space-physical, visual, and aural.

Showing respect is a gift, one that costs nothing and is endlessly appreciated.

Think of your tone of voice as a telegraph.
To the listener, it speaks volumes.

A short fuse does nothing but burn.  Should you find yourself with one, steer clear of others.

Never underestimate the message that's sent by your poise and your posture.

Clothes count.  Appropriate attire is not only respectful, it's refreshing.

Let common sense be your guide and graciousness your goal.



4 comments:

  1. I honestly think the world would be a much better and happier place if only more people would observe simple manners and be more cordial. I'm the same way as you when ever I experience excellent manners form anyone these days.

    Happy weekend Debra!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rowena! Happy weekend to you as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these great reminders :)

    ReplyDelete